Mike,

We have been seeing this exact same problem for about the last 6 months.  The only fix we have for the moment is the same as you, boot into safe mode and wait for the little blue circle to stop spinning on the network icon in the system tray. After a reboot the PC then behaves normally for about 1-2 weeks.  The problem seems to be exaggerated if a PC is switched off for a period of time.

I would be *very* interested in hearing about your setup as this is driving us mad, not to mention extremely embarrassing!  We have external support people looking at this for us as well as considerable time being spent in-house.  We have recently started a program of switching back to Windows XP, that is how serious a problem it is to us!

We have Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit on about 900 lab PCs spread over 3 different sites.  On an average day I probably get about 30 develop this problem and require manual repair.  I have about 300 staff PCs with Windows 7 installed and none of those exhibit this behaviour!!!

We deploy our lab PCs by building a single PC and then imaging it using CloneZilla (mixture of server and live CD mode), then finally using NEWSID.EXE from Microsoft to regenerate the SIDs.

We’re using Active Directory with heavy use of Group policy to deploy the software.

Below is a list of areas we have suspected the fault to lie and what the outcome of investigation has been –

CloneZilla (Imaging tool).  I suspected this from the off but manually building a whole lab from scratch didn’t appear to help, we still get PCs develop this fault.

NEWSID.EXE (to regenerate SIDs).  We have yet to try SYSPREP and this may still be where the problem lies.  Last time I gave SYSPREP a go it crashed.

Licensing.  We use a KMS server and I had thought that because we don’t use SYSPREP it could be down to duplicate GUIDs when a PC attempts to get a licence.  Checking an affected PC shows different IDs, and our KMS server suggests that licensing is performing properly.  To completely rule it out I have switched a bunch of PCs to using a MAC code, we’ve yet to establish if this has helped.

DHCP.  Our lab lease time is 8 hours.  We noticed that a PC would develop this fault if it was switched off for longer than the lease time.  Increasing the lease time appeared to take the time to the fault developing along with it.  Last thing I tried was to set the lease time to 5 mins and this actually appears to have fixed a whole lab which hasn’t had a problem for about 6 weeks!  So, suspecting DHCP, I changed a whole lab to using static IPs.  Two weeks went by and then practically the whole lab developed the fault!  I have now (yesterday) switched two other labs to 5 minute leases to see what happens.

Our external support company have also suggested a number of bug fixes from Microsoft but so far nothing has worked.

I’m now wondering if this is a rogue GP setting somewhere.  In my 20 years working with these damn things I have never worked on something so infuriating so anything you can share that might find the smoking gun would be great!

Thanks,

Darin
Darin Cruickshanks
Lab Support Manager