If you already haven’t done so, try enabling verbose messages on start-up. This should tell you what it is applying when it hangs.

The setting can be found in:

Computer configuration, administrative templates, system, verbose vs normal status messages

From: Support issues for windows in UK HE & FE [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Edwards
Sent: 30 October 2012 22:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Windows 7 hanging at "Applying Computer settings" and similar messages

Hi Mike,

There could be any number of things causing this. Sounds like its getting stuck trying to apply something in group policy and is waiting for a response, or an invalid path has been specified somewhere.

To help see more of whats going on during Windows bootup, you might want to enable Windows 7 verbose logging for starters:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-verbose-status-message-windows

You might also find this thread on Windows 7 GPO debugging helpful:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/winserverGP/thread/a9b36648-aa9f-4ff7-b23f-c1123b7984e9

I also saw a thread on IE branding GPO settings causing this issue, so might be worth checking your settings for this also.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

University of Bath