Begin forwarded message:

From: Tasos Varoudis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Depthmap and ArcGis
Date: 10 October 2012 08:46:23 BST
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, UCL Depthmap <[log in to unmask]>

Hello all,

Thanks George.

I believe that good How-TOs like that should also go on depthmapX's Wiki.

https://github.com/SpaceGroupUCL/depthmapX/wiki

Can you add it there?

Best,
Tasos

On 9 Oct 2012, at 22:16, George Hallowell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Re: Depthmap and ArcGis
Renato and Abdelbaseer:

The process to convert Depthmap files to ArcGIS by exporting is relatively straightforward, but involves several steps. (it would be much better if it were built into Depthmap)

To get an axial map out of ArcGIS:
  1. In ArcMap - first open the attribute table of your axial map (if you created the file in ArcGIS) and chose “select all”
  2. Then right-click the axial map layer in your ArcMap table of contents, and select Data>Export to CAD.  I recommend saving CAD as DXF, 2007 version.
  3. Remember to save and do not change the axial map layer you have created in ArcGIS – you will need it later.
  4. Open the CAD file you just created as a new map in Depthmap and process the file.

To get your Depthmap processed file back out of Depthmap and into ArcGIS:
  1. Export the Depthmap graph file/map (from within Depthmap) as a .txt format text file.
  2. I recommend using Microsoft EXCEL as an intermediate step here – From within Excel, open the .txt text file of the graph file you just exported from Depthmap.  Excel will ask if you want to treat as a tab-delimited file – just say OK.  When the file is open in Excel, save as a Excel 97-2003 Workbook (it works better than later versions).
  3. Within Excel, I would also change the column headings for which ever Depthmap data columns you will need in ArcGIS from the way Depthmap labels it:  For example, change “Integration Rn [HH]” to something like “Integ_Rn” or you will have problems importing back into ArcMap because ArcGIS has column title character limits and cannot handle brackets and parentheses in column/field titles.  Then save your Excel modified Workbook.
  4. Finally, go back into ArcMap and right-click on your original Axial Map layer in the table of contents: select Joins and relates>Join.
  5. Within the join command dialog box, “Choose the table to join this layer..” and select your modified Excel file of the Depthmap graph file.
  6. In the “Chose the field in this layer that the join will be based on” select FID.
  7. In the “Choose the field in the table to base the join on..” select ref
  8. Then click OK, and your Depthmap data will be joined with your georeferenced Axial map within ArcMap.

Hope this helps.

George Hallowell
NCSU College of Design