From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of BLAND TOMKINSON
Sent: 23 October 2012 10:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: how to lose your students in 30 seconds?

I am not entirely convinced by this discussion!  Certainly warn newcomers about the pitfalls of losing students in the first 5 seconds (that's all it takes) but it isn't just what you say, it's also the way that you say it... entrances and exits can even be important.  To my mind there is something about sharing expectations and being honest.  My students know that the initial assignments are not marked (though they are given considerable feedback) but I first share with them why this is so. The same would be true of difficult (threshold) concepts; they need to know why they are learning this. And, when your students come from all over the globe the expectations can be very different!

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Bland