# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # APOLOGIES FOR ANY CROSS POSTING # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

The ESRC National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM) is funding a 2-day training event on Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) methods and Fuzzy Set Measurement, delivered by Dr Wendy Olsen, University of Manchester

Dates    Tue 06/11/2012  to Wed 07/11/2012

Description

The course offers a review of Qualitative Comparative Analysis methods including the crisp and fuzzy set variants. The first day we focus on Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA), a wonderful range of methods for studying patterns appearing in casewise data at the small-N and medium-N levels (from 8 to 200 cases, typically).  The QCA methods firstly involve delineating the cases, then organising a systematic data  in NVIVO or Excel, studying the configurations, and interpreting these mainly in terms of ‘necessary cause’ and ‘sufficient cause’ for each outcome.  We demonstrate the fsQCA software for this.  The same routines in STATA and in ‘R’ are briefly mentioned.

The second day focuses on Fuzzy Set Analysis including fuzzy set measurement.  A fuzzy set is a record of the membership score of a case in a characteristic or set.* Our fuzzy-set analysis workshop covers and extends the QCA mixed-methods analysis of causality.  We explain the “Boolean” algebra, calibration and causal interpretation. We discuss standard and non-standard measures of ‘consistency’ and calculate both within-group and sample-wide consistency levels for testing sufficient cause.

Fuzzy set measurement can be achieved either through the calibration of latent variables, through building up from a series of binary indicators, from Likert scales or from  rescaling cardinal economic data.  Fuzzy set applications in poverty studies offer examples with high technical expertise.  The second morning is spent on fuzzy set measurement and its implications for QCA, and the afternoon is used for practicing the QCA method with fuzzy sets.

In the afternoon of each day there is scope for looking at data brought by participants.  Case material from our own research and from the journals and textbooks will also be available.  Data can be seen in an online library organised by www.compasss.org [sic]. In general this course underpins and fleshes out integrated mixed methods.

Please note participants will need to bring their own laptops to this course.

Cost

·         £60 - For UK registered postgraduate students

·         £120 - For staff at UK academic institutions, ESRC funded researchers and registered charity organisations

·         £440 - For all other participants

All fees include event materials, lunch, morning and afternoon tea. They do not include travel and accommodation costs.

More Information

http://www.ncrm.ac.uk/training/show.php?article=3762

Yours sincerely,

Dr Sean Moley

Training and Capacity Building Developer

ESRC National Centre for Research Methods (NCRM)

School of Social Sciences

University of Southampton

Tel. +44 (0)23 8059 2613

Email. [log in to unmask]