Challenges of Appraising Records in the Digital Age | Smithsonian Institution Archives
Over the last few years though, I've been asked to appraise electronic files with increasing frequency.  Suddenly, I'm not perusing filing cabinets but sitting in front of a computer systematically clicking through folders.  Or I'm putting disk after disk into a drive.  Files are not always intuitively named, particularly if they were created at a time when file names could only be eight character long.  This results in me needing to open the files to see what they are, but compatible hardware and software are not always immediately available.  An organized folder structure allows me to make educated guesses about the contents of the files, but it's not uncommon to find a single generic folder to which all of the files have been saved.

http://bit.ly/RTIx8x

Source: http://siarchives.si.edu/blog/challenges-appraising-records-digital-age?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+si/vrZU+(The+Bigger+Picture)&utm_content=Google+Reader
See if people are clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/RTIx8x+
Try the bitly.com sidebar to see who is talking about a page on the web: http://bitly.com/pages/sidebar