Our pamphlet was published in 1976 and we weren't claiming originality. A lot was coming out from McKeown at the time. The graph was originally used in a health policy document, 'Prevention and health, everybody's business' which used a logarithmic scale to present one interpretation. We used a linear scale to challenge this and the document's presentation of an individualised view of preventive health.
Alison
From: James Hargreaves [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 October 2012 11:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TB and vaccines

I think the original work you refer to is the well-known McKeown hypothesis
There is quite a wide literature debating the conclusions Mckeown drew about trends in mortality, including particularly TB mortality.
Heres one recent attempt to draw a line under these debates, with relevant refs. (I think tis is accessible free)
http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/34/3/529.long
A recent symposium covered more contemporary debates about the role of social protectin mechanisms to improve TB control in many countries and has some interesting presentations on this subject
http://tbsymposium.lshtm.ac.uk/
James

Dr. James Hargreaves ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Senior Lecturer
Room 409,
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT
Tel : +44 20 7927 2955
skype: jameshargreaves7638

>>> Kat Nower <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> 19/10/2012 09:35 >>>
Just as a little add on, you might be interested in a recent paper from the
Race Equality Foundation on this subject- it argues that a decline in living
standards is the main cause of the rise in TB cases in London:

Tackling the prevalence of Tuberculosis amongst poorly housed minority
ethnic communities in London
http://better-housing.org.uk/briefings/tackling-prevalence-tuberculosis-amon
gst-poorly-housed-minority-ethnic-communities-london

Kat