Hi all,

Although this event is taking place in Leeds,  I thought I should bring it to your attention just in case you had an interest and/or a chance to go.

larry

Dr L Brownstein
[alt-e]: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

Review Editor
Radical Statistics

"It's difficult to reason someone out of something that they've never been reasoned into."
-- Jonathan Swift

The Centre for History and Philosophy of Science is pleased to announce that

Jerome Ravetz,
author of Scientific Knowledge and its Social Problems,
Associate Fellow at the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford,
and former Lecturer in History and Philosophy of Science in the University of Leeds

will speak on

'Thomas Kuhn and the End of Scientism'

on Wednesday 17 October 2012, 4.00-5.30pm

School of Philosophy, Religion, and the History of Science,
Baines Wing G36

All welcome!

ABSTRACT: It has been accepted from the outset that Thomas Kuhn's account of science was both heuristically powerful and philosophically unsubtle. I suggest that beneath the plausible narrative about scientists, there are layered messages. They are not about problems with the concepts that Kuhn deploys, but rather about the unsolved problems that gave rise to his endeavour. We find clues to them in the bits of savage irony with which the text is sprinkled. Some relate obviously to the 'cumulationist' image of science. Others, less obvious, relate to the image of science as a moral endeavour, the core of 'scientism'. I believe that in one particular term, 'devoted' there is evidence of a really deep problem of which Kuhn himself may have been only partly aware. This relates to my own work on the social and ethical problems of scientific knowledge, and the prospect of science after scientism.

**************************

Dr. Jon Topham
Senior Lecturer in History of Science & Director of the Centre for History and Philosophy of Science

School of Philosophy, Religion, and History of Science
University of Leeds,
Leeds LS2 9JT

Tel: +44 (0)113 34 32526
Fax: +44 (0)113 34 33265

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/people/40006/centre_for_history_and_philosophy_of_science/person/872/jonathan_topham

----- End forwarded message -----

****************************************************** Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask] Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk. *******************************************************