Hi Louisa

I wanted to add that I think it’s great that you’re going to give researchers the flexibility to work on different aspects of public engagement. You might need to start by highlighting that public engagement encompasses many different activities, as I’ve found that many researchers don’t realise all the options that are available.

The other key thing I’ve found from the training I’ve run at The University of Manchester is that it’s important to provide on-going support, rather than a day of training. We have found that our programmes have been most successful when other researchers have shared their experiences of engaging with the public and when the researchers have an event/project planned that they can focus on. These factors give them more motivation and clarity about what they are aiming for.

I’d be happy to tell you more about the training for biomedical researchers that I’ve led, so please get in touch if you want to know more.

All the best

Kate

Kate Dack (nee Mathieson)

Public Programmes Manager - Nowgen

The Nowgen Centre

29 Grafton Street

Manchester M13 9WU.

Tel: +44 (0)161 276 8943

Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Web: www.nowgen.org.uk

Nowgen is a centre of excellence in public engagement, education and professional training in biomedicine. We sit within the Research and Innovation Division of Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and The School of Biomedicine in the Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences at The University of Manchester. We are part of the NIHR Manchester Biomedical Research Centre and Manchester Academic Health Science Centre (MAHSC).