Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, and I'll follow up the links you
sent!

Michael, if you can find the pdf, I'd appreciate that.

I agree absolutely that people need to see a point, and in my head there
are 2 drivers - one is encouraging people to do it (funders are starting to
ask to see institutional Public Engagement strategies, and this would be a
realtively simple and obvious approach; also the funders could easily ask
people they fund to participate - there is no better driver than it being a
condition of funding!), and the second is for someone who actively wants to
do it to have somewhere useful and visible to put it - and nowadays that
should be easier than in the past, and it would be excellent for example if
they could be linked to by PubMed or its equivalent.

And it's interesting, Hazel saying that at the Environment Agency this was
not done by the scientists themselves.  I am told that the new high profile
journal eLife will include lay summaries, though I don't know who will
write them.

For me it's important because it increases genuine access to the scientific
literature itself, by being about and attached to the experimental paper
itself rather than some other mediated form.

And I understand it might be another futile effort, and that there are
complexities, but that's part of the fun!

Neil