	 A fox terrier is barking at the sea.

	To dogs, his words might have exact meaning

	depending on their breed and dialect.

	It is for them that the dog barks; always;

	even in his most intimate dealings

	with Humans, he vocalises for the large pack

	he fantasises -- from our point of view --

	the pack which shall be when the world's made right.

	Some canine thought will not translate that well

	and seems to us flaccid, like a beach ball

	that has been punctured by sharp teeth; or dull,

	like something which one hopes will move, but won't.

	Nevertheless, I'll try to give the gist.

	He sings: Oh big area of drab water,

	I mistrust you. Why do you keep moving?

	I'm warning you! Be still and let me bite.

	Ocean, if that's what you are – I doubt it –

	don't be cowardly. Be still. I may attack.

	Look at the mess you have made. Pathetic.

	Is that the best you can do?

	 Disorder?

	I've seen more chaos in my feeding bowl.

	Just because there's a lot of you, you know...

	I'm still warning you! I shall break contact.

	I shall come back, when I am free, and piss

	and I shall for a night and for a day

	until you are polluted and ashamed

	I will chew you into such little ponds

	that you will not be coordinated

	and my friends will come and drink all of you

	I'm warning you. I don't like your size here

	Go away now and come back much smaller.

	I'm warning you. I'm warning you. Stop it.