It's bloke culture all right but much more than that. Almost elegiac violence. The director Ted K comments in the extras on the DVD are fascinating. As a Canadian, he was entranced by the way fighting and physical rough stuff was the equivalent of hugging in other cultures. The only skin contact allowable. The novel I read aloud cover to cover to a group of students all repeating year 11and they got right into it. The roo shooting sequences are challenging viewing. Chips Rafferty is unforgettable as looming, sweaty Jock, the local copper at Bundanyabba, so aggressively hospitable.