Chris,

> Can anyone point me in the direction of service design PhD theses or those who are currently working on one?

Even though I frame it as information architecture, my current research
on place-making in cross-channel ecologies (for my 2nd PhD) certainly
overlaps in places with service design, conceptually and in terms of
design practice.

More about my approach can be found in my book "Pervasive Information
Architecture - Designing Cross-channel User Experiences"
(http://pervasiveia.com or http://is.gd/nFanMJ (Amazon)) and in my blog
(see below), and I'm more than available for a chat or for private mail.

> Are there educational initiatives that are working exclusively with service design through both Bachelor, Master and PhD levels.

My old Alma, the Politecnico di Milano in Milan, Italy, has definitely
at least one master program on Product-system-service design (as they
call it), but I suspect they have more going on, given that the Service
Design Tool website (http://www.servicedesigntools.org) is at least
partially the outcome of work done there at INDACO, in collaboration
with Domus Academy. Check out www.polimi.it.

Hope this helps,

--

Andrea Resmini