One quick comment on the various comments about whether it's assumed that
women will be the primary caregivers for children, I would note that it
depends on the country one is in.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parental_leave) suggests there is
substantive variation in the discrepancy between maternity vs paternity
leave from country to country.  I would think (though I don't know for
sure) that this translates to the degree to which the mother (vs the
father) is seen as responsible for primary childcare.

I should think that it rather makes sense that childbirth usually requires
a certain recuperation which cannot be taken by the father.  However,
beyond that, I would like to think that we will all eventually reach the
state of... let's call it enlightenment?... shown by countries like Iceland
and Sweden.

Just a thought.
/fas

--