The question that leaps to my mind is: If working conditions were improved
to address the concerns indicated in the article, to encourage more women
to enter academia, wouldn't that also improve working conditions for men -
thus possibly negating any expected benefits?

I do wish there were greater gender equality amongst academics.  I'm just
not sure how to go about achieving it.
/fas

On 31 October 2012 03:38, stefanie di russo <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Hello list members,
>
> I just came across this article in the Guardian which may be of interest
> and/or a topic of conversation:
>

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-education-network/blog/2012/may/24/why-women-leave-academia?CMP=twt_gu
>
> The comments are also particularly disturbing. This article is one of many
> reflecting the kind of work environment researchers face. As a current PhD
> student contemplating a career in academia, this trend is disappointing and
> frightening.
>
> Why does academia have such a terrible reputation? Should/will it change?
>
> Thoughts..?
>
> --
> *Stefanie Di Russo*
>
> PhD Student