Dear Colleagues

We are writing to invite you to an event on Saturday 10th November 2012 at
the Anna Freud Centre. Together with the Freud Museum, Love Productions and
Blink Films, we have organised a symposium on the theme of ‘Media Ethics and
Emotional Wellbeing’.

Given the fact that the media are now so closely entwined with everyday life,
this symposium will explore the emotional and ethical responsibilities
involved, offering a particular emphasis on the psychological dimensions of
the debate. Our event aims to provide space to consider how the psychological
and emotional impact of both participation in and consumption of the popular
media could be improved with reference to psychoanalytical perspectives on
the experiences entailed. The symposium will consist of three round table
panels:

Press Matters: ‘Perspectives from the Press and its Subjects’

TV Matters: Perspectives from Broadcasters and Their Subjects

Regulation Matters: Reflections on the ethical and moral responsibilities of
the press and broadcasters in relation to the emotional wellbeing of the
individuals, social groups and the nation

We are delighted to have the following confirmed speakers and chairs in
place:

Evan Harris, former Liberal Democrat MP and Campaign Adviser for Hacked Off
Tim Gardam, Principal of St Anne’s College, Oxford and Chair of the Content
Board of OFCOM
Sally Weintrobe, Psychoanalyst
Susanna Rustin, Journalist, The Guardian
Dan Chambers, Executive Producer, Blink Films
David Aaronovitch, Broadcaster and Journalist, The Times
John Ellis, Professor of Media Arts, Royal Holloway, University of London
Laverne Antrobus, Child and Educational Psychologist and
Broadcaster/Consultant
Lisa Appignanesi, Writer and Broadcaster
Richard McKerrow, Creative Director, Love Productions
Brett Kahr, Psychotherapist, Writer and Broadcaster

We are awaiting confirmation of further speakers and information will be
updated on the MiW (www.miwnet.org) and Freud Museum websites accordingly.

Tickets for this event are now available, on a first come, first served
basis. Early booking is strongly recommended.
Registration Costs: £60 Full Price; £45 Students and concessions; (£5
discount for members of the Freud Museum and subscribers to MIWNET)

Tickets can be booked via the Freud Museum website:
http://www.freud.org.uk/events/74910/media-ethics-and-emotional-wellbeing/

This will be the last MiW event of our current funding period, so we very
much hope to see you there if you are able to join us.

With very best wishes

Caroline and Candida

Media and the Inner World AHRC Research Network Directors

Dr Caroline Bainbridge
http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/staff/Caroline-Bainbridge/

Dr Candida Yates
http://www.uel.ac.uk/lss/staff/candidayates/