Apologies for cross posting

Dear Colleagues

This year's CILIP RFID in Libraries Conference is now just over three weeks
away.

A new feature of this year's event will be an open session in the afternoon
when consultants from three continents will be on the platform to answer
questions from the floor - and hopefully from the internet - about RFID
issues, concerns, innovations and ideas.

RFID development and use has not been uniform around the world - as the 2012
survey of use revealed. Different markets have different needs and RFID has
been instrumental in meeting those needs in a variety of ways. My hope is
that we can uncover and learn from the experiences of some of the world's
major markets to better inform ourselves about a technology that many of us
feel could deliver much more.

The three consultants will be:

Alan Butters - Alan runs the very successful Sybis
(http://www.sybis.com.au/) consultancy which - as I learned earlier this
year - is the touchstone for all libraries seeking to use RFID in both
Australia and New Zealand. "We wouldn't make a move without consulting Alan"
- as one librarian told me in Melbourne. Alan is also a keen advocate and
major contributor to standards development.

Lori Ayre - Lori's company, Galecia, (http://www.galecia.com/) advises US
libraries on a range of subjects, including RFID. Her paper on RFID
interoperability in American libraries was recently published by ALA
TechSource
(http://www.alatechsource.org/rfid-in-libraries-a-step-toward-interoperabili
ty). When I speak with US librarians about RFID it is Lori's name I hear
most often.

Mick Fortune - Before getting involved with RFID I spent most of my previous
40 years working in or for libraries - almost all of it in library
automation. My approach to using RFID is very much conditioned by my
experiences (and frustrations) of years of trying to 'make things work well
together' - hence my conviction that standards help. My consultancy service
(and resources pages) are at http://www.libraryrfid.co.uk/ and my blog "RFID
- Changing Libraries for Good?" at http://www.mickfortune.com/Wordpress/

All of us will be speaking about the RFID market - possibly from some very
different angles! - before opening up the discussion to the floor and the
internet. The hashtag for the event is #libRFID12 - so if you have questions
please use this hashtag, or we won't see them!

I am also very happy to receive questions in advance of the event via email.

The session runs from 15:30 - 16:00 GMT. Hope to see you there!

Mick

m.  <tel:%2B44%20%280%297786%20625544> +44 (0)7786 625544   t. +44 (0) 1865
522291 e.   <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]