Hi Gordon – I don’t know which Unis you work at, but I’d be very surprised if they didn’t have some kind of Centre for Learning & Teaching/Educational development  unit which can provide tailored support for discussions of this kind– through eg PgCerts for new lecturers, online resources, staff seminars etc.

More experienced staff who may have missed out on initial teaching courses are not always aware of just how much in-house and external support and resources is now available to support their teaching practice. If that isn’t the case at your insitutions perhaps you could team up with your nearest educational development centre?

Incidentally Debbie kindly referenced our website http://staffcentral.brighton.ac.uk/clt/International/index.html in her powerpoint. If anyone else uses the quote from Ainur please could you anonymise it – she did give her full permission to use it on our public website but may not have anticipated a wider circulation.

The site also  contains a link to an excellent resource from University of the Arts London which I now realise is out of date. Ill update it shortly but meanwhile here it is:

Lost in transition http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/oldreddotassets/docs/ISEP_-_Public_Report.pdf

See also their http://www.arts.ac.uk/librarylearningandteaching/clipcetl/publications/tellusaboutitstudentvoicesincreativepractice/ for some moving accounts of international students experiences of coming to stufy in London

Best wishes

Pauline

Pauline Ridley, Centre for Learning & Teaching, Mayfield House, Falmer Campus, University of Brighton

Email [log in to unmask]     CLT website; www.brighton.ac.uk/clt

Visual Practices Coordinator, LearnHigher, Association for Learning Development in Higher Education (ALDinHE)

Visual Practices: www.brighton.ac.uk/visuallearning         ALDinHE: www.aldinhe.ac.uk

Please note that I now work part-time. My regular days in the CLT are normally Monday & Wednesday;  I will do my best to answer emails promptly, but for urgent matters please contact the CLT office on 643115.