Hallo Torsten,
good detective work!

> [...]
>
> That means: if SGE is started by init, you will have no /etc/profile.d/grid-env.sh
> sourced before and everything is okay. If you need to re-start sge_execd later for
> whatever reason, you will end up with an "all-but-PATH" environment.

In principle also other batch systems could be affected by this business;
either they are smarter in starting the user job with a fresh environment,
or so far it was very unlikely for an admin to restart the WN daemon in an
interactive session (via ssh one would also avoid the problem).

> I will now add another layer on tup of /etc/profile.d/grid-env.sh which prevent
> this from being executed when called as root.

We could investigate if that condition can be imposed in general,
or at least on the WN.  Feel free to open a ticket...