Hi, Chris et al.,

Many thanks for this announcement.  Approaching this as an academic, there is an issue with the two sets of binaries, and I think we talked about this at the SCORE meeting in Conventry, within our "stairway" group.  Yes, open and closed are obviously opposed to one another (unless we get into quantum mechanics;), but the opposite of "virtuous" isn't necessarily "vicious".  There are some very good but not completely open modules and resources even within the Open University which I would have a problem thinking of as something less than good and positive for teachers and students, for example the renovations to the "open" repository within LabSpace.

Best,
Frank

Dr. Frank C. Manista

Mimas

The University of Manchester

5th Floor Roscoe Building

M13 9PL

0161 275 0155 (external)

50155 (internal)

If you haven’t yet seen this announcement please do take a few minutes to read this email and consider providing an abstract for the OER13 conference.

Call for abstracts closes at the end of October, and bookings are now open.

Please share in your networks and hope to see many of you 26-27 March 2013 in Nottingham.

OER13 conference, Call for abstracts closes 31st Oct

www.oer13.org

With the title ‘Creating a Virtuous Circle’, this conference focuses on how we can build on the last ten years of investment in open educational resources and move to the creation of a virtuous circle of open educational practice. It’s about becoming a virtuous rather than a vicious circle and an open rather than a closed one.

OER13 is inviting abstracts for papers/posters within its three key themes of:  Evidence - Experience - Expectation

We anticipate presentations which will share lessons learned to inform the feedback loop, stories of current activity to share good practice, and creative solutions to achieve greater emphasis on openness in education.

Booking are now open with the early-bird price of this two day conference including celebration reception and gala dinner just £167 (on-campus accommodation can be booked separately for under £50) .

We expect this to be an exciting programme which we hope that many of you will want to be part of.

OER13 conference, Call for abstracts closes 31 Oct | Offene Bildung | Scoop.it

Dr Jackie Carter | Mimas Senior Manager: Learning and Teaching and Social Science Data Services | University of Manchester, UK | +44-161 275 6725 | mob 077474 60963 : twitter; JackieCarter

co-chair for OER13 conference