Clare,

Unfortunately the Warwickshire one (Haunchwood Tunnel Pit) no longer
exists, it is now a small industrial estate. It is interesting to see the
locations of where the conscripts (if that is the right term) came from,
some a long way from Warwickshire!
I think this information would be useful especially to those looking at the
social history of these areas.
Now there is just the matter of working out how to reference this in the
very empty Monument record for Haunchwood Tunnel Pit without investigating
the whole history of Coal Mining for Warwickshire!

On a related note something we have noted in the Warwickshire HER is that
industrial sites, especially coal mining are poorly represented and often
as skeleton records rather than holding much substance. I feel an HER
enhancement project coming on, now if only I had some funding from
somewhere..... :)

Ben

*Ben Wallace*
*(Historic Environment Record Manager)*
BA (EU) Hons, MA, MIfA

Warwickshire Historic Environment Record
Archaeological Information and Advice (AIA)
Archives and Historic Environment,
Heritage and Culture Warwickshire,
Localities and Community Safety,
Communities

Warwickshire County Council

Phone: 01926 41*2734*
*
*
*We have Moved!*

Mailing Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities,
Warwickshire County Council, PO Box 43, Shire Hall, Warwick CV34 4SX

Physical Address: Archaeological Information and Advice, Communities,
Warwickshire County Council, Barrack Street, Warwick CV34 4TH

e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Web: http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/her
         http://timetrail.warwickshire.gov.uk

On 17 October 2012 17:51, THOMAS, Roger J C <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> **
> Dear Clare,
>
> There was quite a substantial complex of purpose-built buildings for the
> Bevin Boys to the east of the A19 in the middle of Askern (NGR to come). I
> am fairly sure that this site has been redeveloped, but I will check for
> you. This whole subject is facinating and I am amazed to see the number of
> sites listed, many of which are not strictly close to coalfields; this
> makes me wonder whether a number of these sites were re-using pre-existing
> but defunct army camps, Women's Land Army hostels, abandoned US Army
> hospitals etc. This sort of re-use was common for Irish labourers and PoWs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Roger J C Thomas
>
> Assistant Designation Adviser (West),  former English Heritage Military
> Support Officer
>
> Tel. 01757 702837

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,  including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.