On this topic, there is a brilliant paper in press in Geoscience Canada written by Paul Hoffman concerning Wegener's scientific career and the intricacies of the response of his peers to his continental drift theory. The paper is 5MB and hence can not be appended to this message, but for those interested I could send you the PDF separately. I append the last paragraphs of Hoffman's paper, which I think are very telling.

"
The noted American
historian Mott T. Greene pointed out that neither Wegener's opponents nor his supporters,
"seemed to have a clear grasp of a theory which comes having read it carefully" (Greene 1984).
He suggests that, "the reason for this is a kind of guilty secret: most scientists read as little as
they can get away with anyway, and they do not like new theories in particular. New theories are
hard work, and they are dangerous-it is dangerous to support them (might be wrong) and
dangerous to oppose them (might be right)." He concludes that, "most scientists wait until
someone they trust, admire, or fear supports or opposes the theory. They  can get two for
one-they can come out for or against without having to actually read it, and can do so in a
crowd either way." There is a good deal of truth in this, but a case could be made that Wegener's
opponents tended to read him too closely, fixating on problematic details while missing the
merits of the big picture. Finally, some say that Wegener was a loner, who had no students and
founded no school of followers. Yet, Wegener's colleagues consistently describe how unaffected
Wegener was by fame, how students were attracted by his openness, humility and clarity of
expression (Benndorf 1931; Wegener 1939; Georgi 1962). Wegener had students and followers; they
followed him to Greenland, not continental drift.

I yield the last word to Sir Edward Bailey, writing (coincidentally) on the 50th
anniversary of Wegener's The Origin of Continents (Bailey 1962), the nadir of his theory's
prospects, and a decade before the plate tectonic revolution:
"From the human point of view there are two features of the Wegener hypothesis that
arouse my continual wonder. The first is that Wegener stumbled on what may yet prove to
be the greatest geological discovery of all time before he himself had begun to study
geology. The second, that, after he had ransacked the literature and marshalled a
hitherto meaningless wealth of apparent corroboration, he is treated by most geologists
and physicists as a mere purveyor of nonsense."

Cees van Staal

Dr. Cees van Staal, senior scientist
Geological Survey of Canada / Commission Géologique du Canada Natural Resources Canada / Ressources Naturelles Canada Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
625 Robson Street / 625 rue Robson
Vancouver, BC, V6B 5J3
Canada
604-666-2997