Hi all,

I'm currently working as a part time project coordinator for a Sunderland based women's charity called Sangini on a Heritage Lottery Fund, Community Foundation and Sherburn House Charity funded project called Stories from our Sisters in Sunderland.

The project will focus on recording the stories of older BME women who have migrated to the city of Sunderland, from countries including Africa, China, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Eastern Europe. The project will explore how these women have been shaped by Sunderland and how in turn they have shaped the city through their cultural traditions.

The project will enable participants to explore Sunderland’s history and will encourage older women from under-represented groups to engage with their heritage, learn new skills and participate in creative and heritage activities.

Women from Sunderland’s isolated BME communities will have the opportunity to explore the notion of heritage through a series of visits to museums, archives and other heritage venues across the North East, engage in participatory activities to explore their own and each other’s heritage including object handling and creative art workshops. Participants will be able to develop their skills as volunteers, specifically in oral history recording, interviewing, IT, and communication and collect oral histories from older BME women in Sunderland.

A touring exhibition, book, project website and dissemination event will also be developed as part of the project.

I was wondering if any one knew of, or who has worked on any other projects that engage BME communities (and in particular BME women) in oral history projects.  If you know of any examples, then I'd appreciate it if you could get in touch with details of the projects, any weblinks, evaluation reports, etc which would be really useful for me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alex

Project Coordinator
Stories From Our Sisters in Sunderland