I think there is a wider discussion to be had here, which is about the interface between self-employed professional colleagues and the organisations that wish to employ them. It is often clear from briefs and interviews that some prospective clients are more used to the recruitment of an employee to a post than they are to the selection of an external freelance person or company contracted to produce a set of outputs and outcomes within a time-limited context. The kind of recruitment and selection training I received as a local authority manager did not equip me to be confident about finding the right external company for a job, negotiating the fees, setting up and monitoring the contract etc etc. We had to pick that up from others as we went along. Now that so much more external commissioning is happening, this may be changing too. It would be interesting to know.

Jocelyn

Jocelyn Goddard
Cultural Consulting Network
41 Linden Avenue