Spicing up the bread and butter of museum learning: Changing the way we engage with primary schools

GEM London Autumn programme 2012

Monday 19 November 2012

6pm to 8pm

Sir John Soane’s Museum

Provision for primary schools is often seen as the core offer of a museum’s learning programme. It rarely gets the glitzy spots at conferences and has been happily happening in museums the same way for years. If we’re keeping teachers happy what’s the need to change?

We’re in the middle of a big shake up in primary education, with academies, free schools and a new curriculum on the horizon. This is our opportunity to do things differently, to work with teachers and local communities in a new way. Can we spice up the way we work with schools and make this core offer something better for everyone, something innovative and exciting that grabs the attention of opinion formers and the wider world?

Sandra Stancliffe, Head of Education & Interpretation at English Heritage

Focusing on the new Heritage Schools programme, Sandra will explore a different model for the relationship with primary schools. She will discuss how we can work with teachers, and their new found freedom, to plan curriculums based on local heritage and for museums and heritage sites to act as partner rather than just provider.

Liz Fraser-Betts, Schools and Families Officer at Hackney Museum

Externally funded projects are all too often short bursts of excitement that get forgotten on a shelf when the money has been spent. Liz will talk about how Hackney Museum has used Mapping the Change to experiment with their primary school practice and how the project integrated with their on-going primary offer.

Lucy Grace Trotman, Schools and Families Officer at Sir John Soane's Museum

Since starting at Sir John Soane’s Museum Lucy has worked hard to diversify the Museum’s school audience, focussing on Camden schools to develop a local audience. Lucy will talk us through some of the bespoke projects she has developed in partnerships with teachers and her innovative afterschool clubs.

GEM London events take place in exciting venues with speakers who are experts in their field. Sessions include expert presentations, Q&A sessions and a chance to discuss ideas and share practice with other GEM members over a glass of wine.

Booking information

Cost: £5 per session for GEM members, £7 for non-members

Payment method: on the day by cash or cheque

Please email or call to book in advance so we can plan for space and refreshments. Please let us know

Name

Role

Organisation

Email

Telephone number

Whether you’re a GEM member or not

Hannah Guthrie

020 7091 3192

How to get the The Sir John Soane’s Museum http://www.soane.org/your_visit

Hannah Guthrie
National and International Programmes & Projects Manager

IWM
Lambeth Road
London SE1 6HZ

T 020 7091 3192

W iwm.org.uk

Centenary news and resources: www.1914.org

This email and any attachments are confidential. It may contain privileged information and is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It must not be distributed without consent. If you are not one of the named recipients, please notify the sender and do not disclose or retain this email or any part of it. Unless expressly stated otherwise, opinions in this email are those of the individual sender and not those of the Imperial War Museum. This email has been scanned by the Webroot security service. We believe but do not warrant that this email and any attachments are virus free: you must therefore take full responsibility for virus checking.+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=GEM + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +