Hi,

To start with, you can apply an anisotropic smoothing by creating a custom kernel file.  This needs to be a nifti image and will be fairly small (the size of the non-zero kernel) and filled with whatever values you wish it to have).  We recommend that it has the same voxel size as the image you will apply it to.  You can either set-up the kernel in something like matlab, or you could set values by hand in FSLView, or any other means.

As for applying it to images - if it is just the same anisotropic kernel everywhere, then that is fine.  If you want to apply this within an ROI but not elsewhere (or vary it in any other way) then you will have non-stationary noise which causes problems for most multiple-comparison correction techniques that assume that each voxel has been treated equivalently.  That being said, there is known non-stationary noise in the images themselves, and so to small degrees it won't matter too much.  Just avoid really big changes - or avoid any at all and apply the same (anisotropic) smoothing everywhere.

I hope this helps.
All the best,
Mark