Robin, the question whether to "satisfice" ( is it good enough?) or to "maximize" ( to find the best possible answer) is indeed a crux of the everything we do. This includes an age-old EBM problem: should I bother to search/undertake a RCT when I have a number of observational studies to support what I am doing? EBM has fostered a "maximizing" culture, but even within the EBM it appears that there are limits how far to go.
Best
Ben

Sent from my iPad
( please excuse typos & brevity)