From: Trish Groves <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, 13 October 2012, 18:17
Subject: Re: effects of HRT on CVD events RCT

Thanks, Ben
Your point's very important, but it's unusual for a single paper to change practice, and neither the paper nor the press release suggested that the findings here were sufficiently definitive to warrant that.

Here's the BMJ press release, which we posted alongside the paper:
http://www.bmj.com/press-releases/2012/10/10/hrt-taken-10-years-significantly-reduces-risk-heart-failure-and-heart-atta

I certainly hope that Klim will send a Rapid Response: we'd be very pleased to post it. And if it's at all reassuring, I can say (somewhat cryptically) that the reviewers who saw the paper were the right ones and were fully aware of the relevant evidence base.

Best wishes
Trish

Dr Trish Groves
Deputy editor, BMJ