I agree with Huw in that reduction through evidence base, clarity, and transparency adds quality of practice and therefore life. This platform would be a better foundation on which to rebuild values. If at present they are built on poor diagnostics that could change when this sector improves. `the example that comes to mind is mammography. If it was clear what the earlier diagnosis lead to and indeed how to diagnose in a standardized way that would bring about a change in values in my estimation.

Best
Amy

From: "Huw Llewelyn [hul2]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:45 PM
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: The causes and remedies of overdiagnosis and overtreatment

Ben and Bill

I fully accept what you both say about value judgments and society pushing for more.  Personally, I would not call this over-diagnosis or over-treatment but personal choice and debate.  However, you are quite correct about my aim being to reason in as accurate a way as possible.  It is a failure to do this that I would describe as ‘over and under-diagnosis’ and ‘over and under treatment’.  I would also like to see this being done in a sound transparent way that makes the work of doctors more rewarding and less stressful, minimising the risk of litigation and thus making full use of empathy and personal experience when advising patients.

Best

Huw