From: List for UK HEI employability developers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Calvin Smith
Sent: 16 October 2012 11:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Development of Student Survey - Employability

I never take things like this personally. I think this is just like the "problem" of the graduate attributes...at once both seemingly so deeply embedded in contextual application that they seemingly can't be transferred / transferable skills and yet simultaneously pretty obviously transferable (imagine if this weren't true and the opposite were true instead: we'd only be able to write sat at desks in our first-grade classrooms!). From a deep phenomenological perspective it is probably right to say that transfer is impossible since each time you do an act it is done in a specific situation and circumstance. On the other hand, ask someone, anyone, about some skill area, and they will have a sense of whether they are any good at that skill area. Yes true, to make that assessment they will think back to contexts of application in which they performed well or badly (or "averagely" :-) ). But what else does any of us have as our reference points? Am I a good parent? Do I drive well? Am I good at chess? All relative to the contexts in which I developed or deploy those skills. Yet we self appraise on that basis all the time. (I am putting aside here self- serving and delusional, unjustified self-praise).

So the question I ask here is not "is it conceivable in a decontextualised way?" But rather "is it researchable?". (And I must think that it is...).  Can people be relied upon to give some report of their sense of their own abilities in these areas and might that sense be roughly valid (if not precise), and might that appraisal change over time with the experience of using that skill in various contexts or in the same context on different occasions? I think so...

Nick, I saw your earlier post on the sessions where you proposed to get students together to explore and talk about their skills/capabilities and their application contexts and I think that is very valuable for raising self-awareness of capability, and the limits of claims about the generalisability of those skill acquisitions. That is a great idea. I'd like to see the results of an experiment in which two groups of students were given a set of measures of employability skills, then one group went through an activity like the one you propose and then both groups do the measures again. I predict there will be some increase in the experimental group from awareness raising alone. But then such an experiment does rely on that measurement approach, and I understand that you and others may find it untenable.

It is a terrific example don't you think of the problem of "common sense" defining the world...I have some sympathies with the deeper concerns raised by yourself and e.g. Len Holmes; but there is a pragmatic side to this too, that demands an attempt at an answer...

Kind regards,

Calvin.

Calvin Smith, PhD

Griffith Institute for Higher Education (GIHE)

M10_4.11

Griffith University

Mt Gravatt campus,

Messines Rd, QLD, 4111.