From: European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions on behalf of Gavin Melles
Sent: Mon 08/10/2012 09:43
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: plagiarism

Also sometimes changing the language helps
Plagiarism vs intertextuality
Both address the same issue but one is criminal misbehavior the other not

Von meinem iPod gesendet

Am 08.10.2012 um 19:40 schrieb "Brett Griffiths" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>:

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I  love this list. I'm wondering, though, to piggy back on this topic, if anyone knows of something similar to the 'URGUND' referenced below where the results are sent to the students? I have begun to be interested in plagiarism, in particular as professors in my dissertation study (which is about something different) all have different definitions of plagiarism, and as I know some interesting work is being done in this area. I am growing more and more inclined to believe that many cases of plagiarism result from inconsistent instruction / lack of clarity for students. I wonder if anyone has experimented with a system that would identify to students when they are plagiarizing and if that, indeed, would cut down the rates.

Keep the topics flowing. I'm learning so much!

Best,

Brett Grifiths