Hi Roisin,
In general, the term refers to individuals or sectors that can be
easilly abused, exploited and discriminated.  So if we examine, the
vulnerability is not because of  who the person is, it is because the
society and government provide an environment that is condusive for
certain elements, entities and individuals to perform such.  In an
environment, social, economic, cultural, religious where no preventive
mechanish and acts of abuses, exploitation and discrimination could be
performed with impunity against those looked upon as weak, poor, women,
with disabilities, indigenous, not of similar political and religious
persuasing, vulnerability exist.  It is the social, economic and
cultural etc context that create vulnerable people.
Lauro