Feedback from Elisabeth Standen (with her permission to send t this list.)

BW

Claire

Hi Claire

I have just listened  to the YouTube clip on “The seen but seldom heard” project.

My initial reaction is anger.  The spokespersons were doing precisely what they said they wanted to get beyond.  Speaking for instead of truly enabling.

I could actually only hear one of the poems clearly enough  to get the message.  The woman who pointed out that people saw her ugly wheelchair instead of “The Real Me.”

I do agree that personal stories are a powerful way of glimpsing the inside of other peoples reality.  But if such glimpses are to be anything more that just voyarism they need  to be in a framework that recognises that everyone in society is responsible by the ways they react to, and treat each other.

I hope this helps.

Elisabeth