Hi everybody,

I have similar reactions - it was a very good and productive day and I
learned (once again) about how many different ways there are to do research
and the multiple perspectives available here. I enjoyed getting feedback
about my ebooks study (and in fact, upon returning to the USA, I found out
about a new app by ITV with many signed stories in both BSL and ASL - it's
called "Signed Stories" and the first book is free. Check it out!). Jackie,
I'm also working on a study with classroom videotape data so feel free to
ask questions about that.

However, I do have misgivings about the fact that there was only one Deaf
person (me) present at a meeting about the education of Deaf children. I
believe that sets a very dangerous precedent, as well as continuing the
historical narrative of Deaf people being absent from discussions
concerning Deaf people. Organizers of future meetings should--and
must--make it a priority to avoid this from happening again.

I realize the population of Deaf people studying for their PhD in the UK is
small and that some were invited to this meeting but unable to attend. Off
the top of my head, here are some suggestions to help make certain this
does not happen again:

   - Include Deaf people in the conference planning committee
   - Target Deaf individuals and personally invite them
   - Provide travel funds
   - Provide on-site babysitting if they have children
   - Ability to attend and *not* give presentations
   - Target a wider range of Deaf scholars such as undergraduate, graduate
   students, and early career professionals

I will do my part and disseminate information about future meetings to my
peers.

Jackie, Ruth, and Marc, thank you for doing the hard work of pulling all
this together - it was of great benefit to me and to everyone else, too;
worth my trip across the Atlantic. And I look forward to this email group
becoming more active.

Best,
Adam