I'd suggest pointing out that Sustrans is not a cycling organisation, so why are they being consulted about cycling?  If they haven't consulted CTC, they haven't consulted cyclists.  Also ask for the safety audit, if necessary under FoI, and inform your MP that your local authority or whoever it is, is undermining efforts to promote cycling by making the roads dangerous for cyclists.  If the safety audit is flawed, write to your MP telling him so and asking DfT to put a hold on the work, and get your local media involved.