Steve

Not specifically the causal affect of creating 'short-cuts' but the EPSRC
UWAC research investigated the relationship between home location within
the city highway network and walking and cycling behaviour across four
cities. Basically the results showed that there was a positive but weak
correlation for walking and no correlation for cycling (i.e. integrating
with our qualitative findings we surmised that existing cycle users cycle
regardless of level of connectivity). However, a limitation of our approach
(which used Multiple Centrality Assessment to produce centrality indicators
and NOT Space Syntax for too complicated reasons to go into here!) was that
the approach was unable to measure the quality of connections and of course
there's no point in being well connected to the highway network if the
roads around your home experience high traffic intensity and poor provision
for cycling! We suggest that future studies develop more refined measures
of connectivity that takes 'quality of network' on board.

You can read more about it in the UWAC summary report (pp8-10 specifically)
and I'll keep you updated as and when our other publications on this
element of the study emerge.
http://www.lec.lancs.ac.uk/research/society_and_environment/cycling/Understanding_Walking_&_Cycling_Report_WEB.pdf

Best wishes

Tim

--
Research Fellow
Oxford Institute for Sustainable Development
& Department of Planning
Faculty of Technology Design and Environment
Oxford Brookes University
Gipsy Lane Campus
Oxford  OX3 0BP
Tel +44 (0)1865 483436
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/about/faculties/tde
*
Connect with Brookes:*
Facebook: www.facebook.com/oxfordbrookes
Twitter: www.twitter.com/oxford_brookes
YouTube: www.youtube.com/oxfordbrookes
E-mag: read the university electronic magazine OBSERVE online at
www.brookes.ac.uk/observe

EPSRC Understanding Walking and Cycling summary findings now available for
download:
http://radar.brookes.ac.uk/radar/items/17bb3ed2-1209-b3e9-5357-614f329af72e/1/

I support @thetimes Cities fit for cycling campaign and their eight point
manifesto http://thetim.es/cyclesafety #cyclesafe

Quote: "“A society which measures man’s [*sic*] worth in terms of volume of
publications accumulated is no less sick than one which measures his worth
in terms of dollars amassed” (Stea 1969:1)."

Stea D (1969) Positions, purposes, pragmatics: A journal of radical
geography. *Antipode *1(1):1–2