From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Perry
Sent: Friday, 19 October 2012 4:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sustrans

Hi Joe,

I think that Sustrans needs to improve the way it communicates the role it plays in road infrastructure developments in the UK.  Mention "Sustrans" to cycling campaigners and the expressions on their faces tells most of the story.  It appears that people working on behalf of Sustrans (and in the honest belief that they are doing the best for people) do not know local issues that they are commenting on, nor do they know enough about cycling infrastructure or safe road infrastructure for all users.

I'm going to contact Ryland and find ask to see a document on cycling that Sustrans apparently submitted to my council, which went into their LDP and rather than provide any safe links to schools or colleges, provided cycle lanes on busy, major roads to a half empty retail park and the airport - ignoring much more pleasant parallel routes to these destinations through quiet villages.

Clearly, with Richard's response, I'm not alone on this list in thinking that Sustrans are a problem.  So the question remains as to how people on this list, and within Sustrans, can change Sustrans so that it consistently makes the right decisions for local people, based on facts, not opinions.

Ian