Is anyone aware of any specific research into the effect of creating short-cuts on cycling or walking behaviour?

I am supervising a dissertation, where the student is planning to investigate the effects of a new footbridge on a housing estate which was previously enclosed by high fences.  His literature search hasn't found anything similar, which seems quite surprising.

I have written about the principle of 'filtered permeability' based on observations rather than specific research (Melia 2012 http://eprints.uwe.ac.uk/16905/).  Many studies, particularly in North America, have tried to measure the effect of neighbourhood permeability in general.  Most of these are deeply unsatisfying - usually failing to distinguish between permeability for motor vehicles and permeability for other modes.

The only study I have ever found which looks at this in a more sophisticated way is Franks and Hawkins (2008: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2008/cmhc-schl/nh18-23/NH18-23-108-013E.pdf).

There has been some monitoring of Sustrans' Connect 2 programme, but I haven't found anything which specifically tries to answer the question: what difference does it make when you build a short-cut for cyclists and pedestrians?

Has anyone come across anything else which might be relevant?

Best Regards

Dr Steve Melia
Senior Lecturer
Centre for Transport & Society