Another short cut has recently been built in York - some 30 years after
we began pressing for it, the connection from York Station to the River
Ouse path - that might make an interesting survey - polling those using
the path.

We will shortly have a major restoration of a key route - on maps in the
1700's but seriously compromised in the 1970's when the M8 and other
road developments subsumed walking (and cycling) to the car. Connect 2
is due to open in 2013, but a small number of pedestrians do take their
chances picking their way through the 'underworld' beneath the motorway,
so some survey could be completed.

2 other Glasgow details

1) the revised footway provision at Charing Cross - so few pedestrians
did not make the major diversion to use the footway in the sky, and
continued to pick their way through at grade that a pedestrian route had
to be added as an afterthought, but the crossing point for the exit slip
road had no pedestrian priority for the crossing - it took 40 years to
get a signalled pedestrian crossing linked in to the delivery of traffic
signals. That said the 30mph signs for this stretch of road were
demolished and missing for over 2 years , replaced, and within 2 months
demolished again, and replaced, and then demolished .. currently these
are still missing, and cars can pass through the junction at over 40mph.

2) the provision of pedestrian traffic signals on Finnieston Street,
with the major office complex (10 Elliott Place) - having a significant
impact and capacity problem with car parking, but a substantial number
of the call centre staff especially. It is very telling that despite
being practically on top of the station the pedestrian route to the
building comes in 'past the bin stores and loading docks', and until the
pressure of sheer numbers tipped the balance those on foot took their
chances crossing a busy 4-lane road.

Both possibly examples of pressure by demand to resolve failure in the
road design process

Dave H