I have to say, my experience is exactly the opposite of what you state
below.

Councillors are not concerned with following their own policies, and are
much more interested in their own pet projects and as for making officers
answerable to them, you must be joking!  Most councillors have no idea even
what their own policies are, let alone getting the officers to follow them.

Major highway engineering works regularly happen with no consultation
whatsoever, and when we complain, we are told that this was a "one off" and
it will never happen again.  Six months later it happens again, and again,
and again, and again.

I am familiar with the council's policies, but it would appear that neither
the councillors nor the officers have any intention of carrying them out.
As far as scrutiny committees go, they just seem to support their mates
i.e. the other councillors, and it would appear that there is nothing in
terms of incompetence that an officer can't do and there is no sanction.

Asking questions is a complete waste of time when the councillors are
uninformed and uninterested and the officers just carry on and do whatever
they want, secure in the knowledge that the councillors will ensure that
they keep their jobs no matter how useless they are.

South Gloucestershire Council may be an exception, but from what I've read
and seen, I doubt it.