CALL FOR PAPERS

Fourth International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Emotional Geographies, 1-3 July 2013 at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands

Session: Emotional and affective temporalities of everyday life

In the literature on emotional geographies there has been a predominant focus on emotional spaces and the spatiality of experience (Davidson and Milligan, 2004), however, Anderson and Smith’s (2001) key editorial draws attention to the times and moments where emotional relations are lived. While we do not deny the significance of experiencing space as an emotional geography, this call for papers draws attention to the role of time and temporality to understand experiences of affective and emotional life. Using time as a mode of analysis (Lefebvre, 2004), we are interested in the temporalities that structure, regulate, or restrict people’s embodied and emotional lives, and the tactics used to resist temporal control. Such discussions about temporalities might include rhythms, routines and timetables, as well as modes of stillness (Bissell and Fuller, 2011).

We invite papers on the emotional and affective temporalities of everyday life, including theoretical, empirical and methodological findings that explore the role of time and temporality. We also invite papers that address the role of technologies (Mol, 2008; Andrews, 2011) in mediating temporalities and controlling or resisting marginalization. This might include the (non)institutional settings where bodies interact with technology in seemingly tethered or ‘prosthetic’ ways, from social networks and the ‘home’ to hospitals and schools. We are particularly interested in how technologies are used to reconfigure temporalities and/or how these technologies are reconfigured in relation to the (in)visibility of health, illness and disability in both enabling and constraining ways, and the effect of such mediation on emotional relations.

Please send abstracts of no more than 250 words by 14th December 2012 to Jayne Sellick [log in to unmask] OR Katie Hemsworth [log in to unmask]

Session organisers

Jayne Sellick, Durham University, UK

Sophie Edwards, Gentry Hanks and Katie Hemsworth, Queens University, Kingston, Canada.