Hi folks --

The Political Geography Specialty Group of the AAG is happy to announce
that we are EXPANDING the new "Student Travel Award" that we introduced
last year. The committee for this year's competition can now fund up to 10
awards of $200 each to attend the PGSG preconference and/or the AAG
conference. I've pasted the details below; we will be updating the website (
http://www.politicalgeography.org/index.html) to reflect this new language
hopefully sometime today. Please help spread the word so that we can get
some great applications.

Applications should be sent directly to Katrinka Somdahl-Sands, as below.

As for the annual PGSG preconference, the Department of Geography at UCLA
has agreed to host the event for April 2013, just prior to the main AAG
conference. We will be sending out more information on the PGSG
preconference as soon as we iron out a few last details.

Mat

*PGSG Student Travel Award*

* *

travel awards will be given to support graduate student travel to present a
paper on a political geography topic at the PGSG pre-conference and/or the
AAG annual meeting. This competition is open to all MA/MS/PhD students and
up to ten (10) awards of $200.00 will be given each year.

*Guidelines are as follows:*

1. The competition is open to all MA/MS/PhD students who are currently
enrolled in a Geography degree program and/or pursuing studies relevant to
Geography and are registered to attend the PGSG pre-conference and/or the
AAG annual meeting.

2. Students should submit electronic copies of the following documents to
the PGSG student travel award committee chair (listed below) by *December
15, 2012*:  a) their paper title and abstract; b) confirmation of
conference registration; c) a brief cover letter stating where they are
enrolled, what degree they are pursing, whether they are a member of the
PGSG, and the details for any other travel funds they have been awarded.

3.  Entries must be on a topic in political geography. The PGSG student
travel award committee will prioritize applications based on these
criteria: a)  PGSG student members will be given preference; b) students
with no funding or less funding will be given preference; c) students
participating in the PGSG pre-conference will be given preference; d) the
potential contribution of the student’s presented research to the field of
political geography will be considered.

4. Award winners will be notified no later than January 15, 2013.

5. All monetary prizes are awarded at the discretion of the Student Travel
Award Committee. If fewer than five acceptable entries are made the
committee can decide to give less than five awards in any given year.

6. Any questions pertaining to eligibility will be resolved by the Student
Travel Award Committee.

Student Travel Award Committee:

Katrinka Somdahl-Sands, Committee Chair, Rowan University,
somdah<https://exchange2007-ca-v1.rowan.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=303555447bf549279ac8ed52921beed3&URL=mailto%3asomdahl-sands%40rowan.edu>
l-sands<https://exchange2007-ca-v1.rowan.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=303555447bf549279ac8ed52921beed3&URL=mailto%3asomdahl-sands%40rowan.edu>
rowan<https://exchange2007-ca-v1.rowan.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=303555447bf549279ac8ed52921beed3&URL=mailto%3asomdahl-sands%40rowan.edu>
.<https://exchange2007-ca-v1.rowan.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=303555447bf549279ac8ed52921beed3&URL=mailto%3asomdahl-sands%40rowan.edu>
edu<https://exchange2007-ca-v1.rowan.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=303555447bf549279ac8ed52921beed3&URL=mailto%3asomdahl-sands%40rowan.edu>

Darren Purcell, University of Oklahoma,
[log in to unmask]<https://exchange2007-ca-v1.rowan.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=303555447bf549279ac8ed52921beed3&URL=mailto%3adpurcell%40ou.edu>

Anne-Laure Amilhat-Szary Université Joseph Fourier,
[log in to unmask]<https://exchange2007-ca-v1.rowan.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=303555447bf549279ac8ed52921beed3&URL=mailto%3aanne-laure.amilhat%40ujf-grenoble.fr>

Mathew Coleman
Associate Professor

Department of Geography, The Ohio State University
1156 Derby Hall, 154 N. Oval Mall
Columbus OH 43210-1361

Phone 614.292.9686 | Fax 614.292.6213