**Sorry for cross-posting**

Hi folks --

The Political Geography Specialty Group is happy to announce that we are soliciting proposals for our annual PGSG Dissertation Enhancement Award (DEA). This year we are hoping to be able to make two awards of $1000 each to PhD students who are also PGSG members. In previous years we have only made one such award. As a result of the PGSG Board's new spending priorities, we will henceforth be redirecting our resources to support two DEA awards, annually.

Inquires and applications should be directed to the DEA committee members listed below.

Please help spread the word.

Mat

The PGSG Dissertation Enhancement Award is to be granted annually to PGSG student members. Two awards of $1000 each will be awarded at the discretion of the Dissertation Enhancement Award Committee.  Interested students should prepare a mini-dissertation proposal for submission to the Dissertation Awards Committee.

Guidelines are as follows:

1. The competition is open to all Ph.D. students who are members of the PGSG.

2. The DEA proposal should be 8-10 pages in length total (single or double spaced) and include sections covering the research question(s), theoretical issues, conceptual framework, methodology, relevance to political geography, and a budget describing how the $1000 would be used.

3. A proposal submitted for the PGSG DEA award may NOT be submitted to any other AAG Specialty Group for a dissertation enhancement award.

4. If a student has already incurred expenses listed in the budget by the time of the award announcement, the student may use the DEA to cover those expenses.

5. The DEA proposal should be crafted from the student's dissertation proposal which has been or will be submitted to the Ph.D. committee within the 2012--2013 academic year.

6.  To enable full consideration of all submissions, entrants should send electronic copies of their DEA proposals to each member of the Dissertation Enhancement Award Committee listed below by Friday 15 March 2013.

7. The results of the DEA competition will be announced to the winner prior to the annual AAG meeting and the winner will be invited to attend the annual AAG Awards Luncheon at the expense of the PGSG. The award will be formally announced at the PGSG business meeting and payment will be made shortly thereafter. The winner's name and dissertation title will be forwarded to the AAG for publication in the AAG Newsletter.

8. Questions concerning the competition may be directed to the members of the Dissertation Enhancement Awards Committee.

Dissertation Enhancement Award Committee:

Robert H. Watrel, South Dakota State University, [log in to unmask]

 Shannon O’Lear, University of Kansas [log in to unmask],

 Gabriel Popescu, Indiana University South Bend [log in to unmask]

Mathew Coleman
Associate Professor

Department of Geography, The Ohio State University
1156 Derby Hall, 154 N. Oval Mall
Columbus OH 43210-1361

Phone 614.292.9686 | Fax 614.292.6213