From: Contaminated Land Management Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Dainton
Sent: 10 October 2012 12:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Technical Guidance Sheets on normal background levels of contaminants in English Soils are published by Defra.

Hello List

So have looked at Lead (which is of interest for us in urban areas and locally in Derbyshire).

The use of UCL95 for Lead Mineralisation & BaP Urban highlights the potential concerns raised earlier and it would be great if BGS could comment on here (hello to Chris Johnson from the BGS who posted today).

The CL (Lower, Middle & Upper) numbers on the 95th Percentile of the data (all mg/kg):

BaP Principal Domain:
LCL: 0.31
MCL: 0.39
UCL: 0.5
Very small sample size (71) and 1.6x increase from LCL to UCL

BaP Urban:
LCL: 1.2
MCL: 2.2
UCL: 3.6
Tiny sample size (32) and 3x increase from LCL to UCL

Lead Principal Domain:
LCL: 170
MCL: 170
UCL: 180
Huge sample size (>30,000) and minimal increase from LCL to UCL

Lead Urban Domain:
LCL: 770
MCL: 790
UCL: 820
Large sample size (7,500) and very small increase from LCL to UCL

Lead Mineralisation Domain:
LCL: 1600
MCL: 1,900
UCL: 2,400
Reasonable sample size (347) and 1.5x increase from LCL to UCL

This seems to illustrate well how the UCL95 decreases relative to the sample size.  So the smaller the data set, the higher the NBC would be?  Which could mean that sites screened using an NBC could be poorly categorised as having levels consistent with background concentrations.

Of course I'm assuming (incorrectly?), that as the sample size increases (all things being equal etc), that the LCL and UCL tend towards the MCL.

Perhaps another approach could be to consider the level of variance of LCL to UCL and adopt MCL (or even LCL) values, if the difference between LCL to UCL is considered to be too high.

Kind regards

Chris Dainton
Peak Environmental Solutions Limited

Unit 10, Aston Ind Estate, Parsons Lane, Hope, Hope Valley, Derbyshire, S33 6RB

http://peakenvironmentalsolutions.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisdainton