On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Bill Long <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Assignment to a polymorphic variable is allowed. If the LHS is an unallocated allocatable variable (the case here), it becomes allocated with the dynamic type of the RHS before assignment.   That facility may require a command line option. (The Cray compiler does allow this assignment.)

Thanks for the confirmation.  I've been in this situation before and have had
to resort to sourced-allocation to do it (if I remember correctly) -- I'm happy
to hear that (eventually) I won't need to do that anymore.

-Neil