On 10/5/12 1:52 PM, Neil Carlson wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Van Snyder <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     !    value = get_value(i)
>
>     Both NAG 5.2(668) and ifort 12.0 Build 20101116 incorrectly objected to
>     the assignment to the local allocatable variable "value".
>

> Are your sure about that?  I thought there wasn't too much one could do with
> a polymorphic variable outside a select-type -- certainly not use them
> in expressions, and that's what the LHS is, no?

Assignment to a polymorphic variable is allowed. If the LHS is an
unallocated allocatable variable (the case here), it becomes allocated
with the dynamic type of the RHS before assignment.   That facility may
require a command line option. (The Cray compiler does allow this
assignment.)

Cheers,
Bill

--
Bill Long                                           [log in to unmask]