Hi Craig,

I accept that the petition can play an important role and heed union advice that public pressure is a real help in Ian's case and in the case of Christine Vie and any other person in similar circumstances for whom a petition is set up. I think there are questions to be asked about why petitions are set up (and supported) for some of the countless trades unionists, whistle blowers, activists and others who are routinely victimised every day but not for others and I think there are questions about the interests served by some reasons given for petition signing.

Like you I would, in general, expect Universities to take legal advice before embarking on suspensions on the basis of very serious allegations against University staff and I would expect Trades Unions supporting members to take expert advice and if necessary engage an employment lawyer when supporting members against such allegations.

David

From: Craig Newnes <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, 11 October 2012, 1:40
Subject: Re: Critically processing Ian Parker’s 'suspension'

The petition has 1800 signatories but - hey - it's a petition. I would be surprised if MMU have not acted within the rules, however harshly C
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone
From: jacqui lovell <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:13:30 +0100
ReplyTo: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

I did wonder why I was dragging my feet to support Ian's predicament, I thought it was because he was not in a life threatening situation but what you say makes a lot of sense to me David, so thanks for unpicking this and giving me food for thought!
Jacqui L