From: CIG E-Forum [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Bernadette Mary O'Reilly [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 October 2012 15:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] RDA and workflows

My greatest concern is about how we are to use downloaded records - AACR2 records,  hybrids and RDA records which have adopted options to be much less full – and edit existing AACR2 records once people here have lost their AACR2 skills.  We don’t have the resources to support multiple standards, nor to do detailed record-by-record assessments and remodellings.  Also, quite a lot of our records are added in batches of thousands.

I expect that in order to maintain throughput we will have to accept a lot of variation and hybridisation, and quite possibly produce hybridsof our own (!!!!), i.e. editing AACR2 records using RDA instructions.  I don’t think it will really affect users if we write ‘pages’ in a record coded as AACR2, but I am more concerned about structural incompatibilities, e.g. treatment of revisions, compilations and collaborations, where there is some risk of producing gappy or incoherent records.

Has anyone else got plans for their downloading strategies?  And what about the H-word (hybridisation)?

Best wishes,
Bernadette
Bernadette O'Reilly
Catalogue Support Librarian