From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lee, Deborah
Sent: 25 October 2012 15:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] RDA and workflows

Our current plan is to convert records to full RDA after our RDA changeover day (currently scheduled for early April 2013, but could change).  Until then, we are taking any full RDA records as is, and incomplete records (i.e. pre-publication, which we get a lot of as we catalogue a lot of exhibition catalogues as a priority) are only being re-catalogued in AACR2 as a last resort (i.e. even after 2 or 3 months we can't find a full record in either AACR2 or RDA).  However, once we start training for RDA (in the Spring), we will flip and we will complete partial records in RDA if that is how they have been catalogued.  In short, we are trying to avoid hybrid records as much as we can, acknowledging that our catalogue will become increasingly hybridised.  I should point out that we are a very small university library, so the scale of things means we can do some things that bigger libraries can't, and vice versa.  Our biggest discussions are over the "new" older stock that we get in and any retrospective cataloguing work.  This we still need to figure out, as like you say, we can't expect cataloguers to have AACR2 skills forever!

Debbie

Deborah Lee
Senior cataloguer
Book Library