I haven't had time to look at all the practice records, but my
impression is that only a minority ofpeople are treating the title of
the original edition as the preferred title of the work itself rather
than as the title of a related work/expression.  I think that LC decided
that the original title should be the preferred title except when the
original author has dropped out or there has been radical revision, and
I rather think BL have decided the same (but haven't had time to look at
their new documentation properly).  Are any agencies taking a different
approach?

Best wishes,

Bernadette

P.S.  The LC (and BL?) decision has the interesting consequence that in
a MARC record the main entry is the first-listed author of the original
edition, not the first-listed author of the work in hand.  Logical, but
a shock; and challenging to explain.

Bernadette O'Reilly
Catalogue Support Librarian

01865 2-77134